Cast Iron Shore
Cast Iron Shore (colloquially known as The Cazzy) was a name given to the banks of the Mersey in south Liverpool due to the presence of an iron foundry. St Michael's Church, opened in 1815, was known as the Cast Iron Church because of the extensive use of cast iron in its construction.
The "Cazzy" got its name from the rust residue left after ships were scrapped on the foreshore at Dingle. Many famous ships met their end here right up to the 1950s. The area was just beyond the last of the South Docks, the Herculaneum Dock. The Beach in that area turned red from the ferric oxide left in the sand, the riverfront today in that area is now part of the promenade that joins the Otterspool promenade a little farther south.
- "South Liverpool: Toxteth, Wavertree, Aigburth and Garston". allertonOak. Archived from the original on 20 October 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- "St Michael's Church". SJS Files. Archived from the original on December 2, 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- "Glass Onion". The Beatles Online. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
|This Merseyside location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|